TO THE NEW Organized GeekCombat, 2017
TO THE NEW organized and hosted GeekCombat 2017, the annual flagship event from 6th to 8th October, 2017. The 42 hour long hackathon was themed around NewersWorld, our internal self-service portal. The participants were asked to brainstorm and come up with ideas that could transform various internal processes at TO THE NEW such as - applying for leaves, claiming reimbursements, managing case studies, working out company cab schedules etc.
The hackathon was kicked off on the evening of 6th October, with ideas focused on bringing about a positive impact on the day to day life of our employees. The hackathon saw a huge participation from 168 participants in 24 teams and some applications. The notable ones are already on their way of being implemented at TO THE NEW.
Some of the cool innovative apps built during GeekCombat were:
- A chatbot that acts as an employee assistant
- A face recognition app that recognizes employees and marks attendance
- An intelligent cab tracker that helps track company cab schedules
- An Asset Management System to help manage and organize knowledge resources
- A meeting room booking app
- A cafeteria management system to keep track of cafeteria spends for each employee's cafe account
Winners were announced under various categories, with Team Caveman Coders emerging as the leaders. They created a crisp, robust asset management application with an easy UI/UX. The app has the potential to effectively manage company assets and thereby save costs.
In all, the event witnessed a lot of zeal and enthusiasm and provided a great platform to boost innovation and creativity.